Child Support

Norman Child Support Lawyer

How Does Child Support Work in Oklahoma?

To calculate child support in the state of Oklahoma, gross monthly family income needs to be determined first. Gross monthly family income is each parent’s adjusted gross income added together. The factors that impact child support consist of this number along with the number of children in the household.

Once this has been determined, the courts rely on this along with the basic child support guideline to establish a child support payment amount.

The child support lawyer in Norman from Redhawk Law make it our goal to exceed your expectations and resolve your case as efficiently as possible. We understand that calculating child support can be a complicated and intimidating process, which is why we are here to offer you advice and guidance every step of the way.

Do you need a child support attorney in Norman? Call (405) 266-5072 or contact us online today!

Oklahoma Child Support Guidelines: Calculating Child Support in OK

Oklahoma’s statewide formula, also known as a guideline calculation, helps the court figure out the amount of child support to award in a case.

In Oklahoma, the guidelines calculate child support based on some of the following factors:

  • Each parent’s income
  • How much additional income each parent receives
  • How many children the parents have together
  • The amount of time each parent spends with the child(ren)
  • The amount of child support each parent pays for children from other relationships
  • Healthcare, educational care, and daycare expenses

How to Calculate Gross Income

Gross income looks different depending on what you do for work. Here are some ways gross income can be calculated:

  • Adding up the actual monthly income or income equal to a 40-hour work week
  • Determining your average monthly income while employed during the last 3 years
  • Looking at the minimum wage paid for a 40-hour work week
  • Figuring out what the monthly income would be for an individual with comparable education and work experience
  • For individuals who are self-employed, gross income is defined as "gross receipts minus ordinary and necessary expenses required for self-employment or business operations"

How Long Does Child Support Last in Oklahoma?

Child support continues until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever comes first. Divorced parents may have the option to continue child support into college if they wish. Oklahoma law does not grant this power unless the child is physically or mentally disabled.

Enforcing Child Support Orders

All court-ordered child support must be followed and paid in full. If back child support is owed, then you may be able to petition the court to enforce child support via a contempt order. This will require the paying parent to pay what is owed or else face ramifications.

What Happens if You Don't Pay Child Support in Oklahoma?

Child support is ordered by the court, which means that, by not paying child support, you may be held in contempt of court. Failure to pay child support in Oklahoma can lead to enforcement through wage garnishment or other means of collecting back child support. Other ramifications include fines and the potential loss of your driver’s license.

If you are unable to make your child support payments due to loss of a job or another significant change in your circumstances, then speak with a Norman child support attorney immediately to see if you qualify to have your support order modified.

Child Support Modifications

Using its discretion, the court may modify a child support order if there has been a material change in circumstances. This is defined as: A change in income for either spouse or a change in the child(ren)’s needs.

To modify an existing order, you will need a judge to recalculate your order and issue a new one. If you have any questions and/or concerns about how this process works, it is best to speak with an experienced lawyer for support.

Contact Our Norman Child Support Lawyer Today

Get in touch with us online today or call us at (405) 266-5072 to book an initial consultation.

We're Here To Help

Contact Us Today