What Should I Do if I Can't Afford My Child Support Payments?

empty wallet

When your child support order is first drafted, it is made according to you and your child's circumstances at the time. As time goes on, the order may not necessarily make sense anymore. For example, some parents find that they have a new medical disability that prevents them from working, or some lose their job due to circumstances that they couldn't have prevented, like a global pandemic. Fortunately, Oklahoma allows for parents to file for a modification of child support.

How to Modify Child Support in Oklahoma

Oklahoma allows for a modification of support as long as the situation warrants it. Typically, this means there have been significant changes since the initial order was issued.

Oklahoma courts will grant a modification to an existing child support order for the following reasons:

  • There is no order for medical support.
  • The order was not calculated according to Oklahoma Child Support Guidelines and there will be at least a twenty percent change in the amount of child support to be paid.
  • There is a significant change in the circumstances of the child or parents.

What is a Significant Change in Circumstances?

When your situation, your child's, or your ex-spouse's situation changes significantly it can directly impact your child support obligation. For example, maybe you lost your job due to unforeseen reasons, or your custody order has changed. Regardless of the reason, if the change is significant enough that you need to modify support, it might be time to file a request for a modification.

The court defines a significant change in circumstances as one of the following:

  • There is an increase or decrease in the needs of the child or the income of the parents.
  • Either parent qualifies for medical disability.
  • There have been changes in the child's care expenses or the cost of their medical or dental insurance.
  • There are changes in the child's custody order.

In any of these cases, a parent can request a modification. However, the parent must be able to provide proof that the change is needed before the court will grant the motion. To obtain the best possible results, it is in your best interests to contact a Norman child support attorney before proceeding with a child support modification case.

Modify your child support order today. Call Redhawk Law at (405) 266-5072 to speak to a Norman child support lawyer regarding your case.

Related Posts
  • Everything You Need to Know About Oklahoma Child Support Read More
  • What Happens if You Don't Pay Child Support in Oklahoma? Read More