man with empty pockets

What Happens if You Don't Pay Child Support in Oklahoma?

Every parent has a legal responsibility to financially support their children, no matter where the child resides. In many cases, this means the non-custodial parent will pay child support to the custodial parent. However, there are instances where the non-custodial parent will struggle with paying child support, which can lead to severe consequences in Oklahoma.

What are the Consequences of Not Paying Child Support?

The purpose of child support is to ensure that the custodial parent can financially provide for the child. If the court orders that you have to pay child support, then there is no way that you can get out of paying it. Regardless of whether you don't pay child support because you don't have the money or because you just don't want to, there are many consequences that you can potentially face.

Withheld Income

The state will take drastic measures to ensure that the custodial parent gets the funds that they need. They can decide to take a certain percentage of your check. You may also get your state and federal tax return taken. Additionally, you can get liens placed on your property. This means that the state can seize your property in order to satisfy the child support debt.

You Won't Be Able to Travel

It will be a lot harder for you to get to where you need to go if you don't pay child support. You can get your driver's license taken. You may also not be able to register a car, motorcycle, or boat. Additionally, you can be denied a passport.

Impact Your Reputation

Your name may be placed on the Oklahoma Child Support Enforcement Most Wanted List. This information can easily be accessed by the public, which could impact your reputation, making it difficult to obtain employment. The list includes information with the individual's name, photograph, date of birth, their last known address, and any amount of child support owed.

Jail Time

Parents can decide on child support amounts, or if they cannot come to an agreement on their own, the court will set the amount. Either way, the court must approve the child support order. Therefore, if you do not make your payments, you may be held in contempt of court if you do not pay your child support, which can be a felony or misdemeanor offense. You could face jail time. Keep in mind that your child support debt does not go away when you are in jail.

License Suspension

One final consequence of not paying child support is that your licenses and permits may be suspended. This includes your driver's license, professional licenses, recreational licenses, and business permits.

Speak to a Norman Child Support Lawyer Today

If you owe child support, but an incident has happened in your life that has left you unable to meet your financial obligations, or you are a custodial parent struggling because your child's other parent is not making their payments, consider seeking out our Norman child support attorney at Redhawk Law. Our family law attorney is here to answer your questions and walk you through the challenges of child support matters.

For a consultation about child support orders, enforcement or modifications, call Redhawk Law today at (405) 266-5072.